Let’s face it, many people of any age are still afraid to go to the dentist. Most common reasons include childhood trauma, painful dental procedures and other unpleasant experiences. Although some of these reasons are understandable, remember that dental care is very important not only in maintaining oral health but
In many dental procedures, sedation is key in making the patient feel comfortable so it is important to discuss the available and most recommended options. One of the safest options is nitrous oxide (N2O) or what is popularly known as laughing gas. It is a non-irritating, colorless and pleasant-smelling gas that can put a patient at ease within a few minutes. It is introduced to the body by inhaling so there are no injections involved which is a good choice for those who have trauma with needles.
The advantages of nitrous oxide are:
- Decreases patient anxiety as it gives the patient a relaxed and pleasant feeling.
- The dose is personalized as the dentists, hygienists and/or dental assistants will monitor the patient’s response to the laughing gas and adjust accordingly.
- Just as it can take effect within a few minutes, it can also be flushed out of the system soon enough to let you drive safely back home. When the dentist stops supplying nitrous oxide and flushes out the gas in the lungs, the patient can recover in a few minutes and go back to his/her daily routine.
- It is generally safe for both kids and adults. As mentioned above, the nitrous oxide dosage depends on the person’s reaction to the gas so every patient can expect to feel comfortable for the duration of the dental procedure.
- Less pain and more pleasant experience. It is a form of sedation that will give the patient a happy feeling and keep him/her conscious during the procedure so if the patient wants to communicate to the dentist he/she can do so.
- Very minimal side effects. Because the gas is administered incrementally, there is little probability of overdose. Also, the dentist can easily flush out nitrous oxide with oxygen right after the procedure.
- More patients will get the dental procedure as needed because there will be less anxiety and trauma on the patients.
See, there are many ways to make your dental experience a pleasant one. Try the more modern techniques and let your trusted dentist help you maintain good oral health.