Everyone knows that when we go to our general doctor for a specific health issue, there is a good chance that we will be referred to a specialist who has had extensive continued training and education with that specific problem.
The same applies to dentistry. There is your general dentist whom you probably see for your biannual dental exam and cleanings. If there is an extensive dental issue, your general dentist most likely will refer you to that specialist so that you will benefit from the best dental care.
Dental specialties include:
- Periodontist: Deals with specifically the gums and surrounding tissues.
- Pedodontist: Treats children and adolescents for their dental care.
- Endodontist: Performs root canals and deals with issues involving the inside of the tooth.
- Oral Surgeon: Performs maxillofacial surgery, complicated extractions and facial reconstruction.
- Oral pathologist: Diagnoses oral diseases and conditions including oral cancer.
- Orthodontist: Straightens teeth and corrects malocclusion. (Bad bite).
- Prosthodontist: Specializes in replacing missing teeth with dentures, implants, bridges and crowns. Requires two-four years of post graduate focused training in the art and science of tooth replacement.
Your Houston Dentist specializes in prosthodontics and is your best choice when you are considering an implant, cosmetic dentistry, whitening or dentures.