Do You Have Braces?
When you are wearing dental braces, caring for your teeth and gum becomes challenging. But since you will have to deal with brackets, bands and wires, not to mention occasional sores, you need to learn how to deal with wearing braces soon. There is no reason to worry though because the dentist at Midtown Dentistry in Houston can guide you throughout the process.
5 Steps to Maintaining Good Oral Health When You Have Braces
Some take for granted the value of brushing and flossing routine. For those with braces, it becomes an achievement to do it properly every single session that they do it. It is more than a routine. It is an integral part of the whole process. Since braces are foreign objects, the mouth will react to the material in different ways. Hence, the need for cleaning becomes more important. But as the adage goes, practice makes perfect. So here are some tips to better brushing and flossing for people with braces.
- Brush at least three times a day. Use a small amount of toothpaste and brush each tooth using a circular motion. You may also use electric toothbrush and small proxabrushes (interdental) to clean teeth better and remove food and plaque deposits on the sides of the brackets.
- Brush the tongue and roof of the mouth as well. Bacteria can easily multiply in the mouth so make sure you keep the mouth clean to prevent infection.
- Rinse your mouth with fluoride solution to remove plaque and minimize occurrence of decalcification.
- Have your teeth professionally cleaned by visiting your dentist every six months.
- Floss once a day using a floss threader. The technique is to slide the floss under the arch-wire then wrap around both ends of the floss on the right and left fingers. Slide the floss in-between then gently move the floss in an upward-downward motion reaching the gum line. Repeat the process until you’ve covered every tooth.
Cleaning your mouth properly while wearing braces will prevent gum problems such as bleeding and swelling. It will also remove plaque and prevent buildup which can progress to more complications later on.
Yes I Have Braces
Call us at (713) 807-9877 or use the button below to Ask a Question or Schedule Your Appointment to have Dr. Jonathan Penchas or one of his expert staff examine your teeth.24/7 Appointment NOW