Your Sedation Dentistry Consultation
Before your Houston dentist can sedate you during your dental appointment, you must consult with your dentist and an anesthesiologist. Together they will determine the type and level of anesthesia that is best for you. They’ll also talk about which kind of anesthesia they recommend for your situation.
WHAT TO EXPECT BEFORE, DURING AND AFTER SEDATION DENTISTRY
At MidtownDentistry in Houston, Texas, if you require anesthesia (sedation or general) for your procedure there are a few things you’ll need to do:
- We’ll have to give you a preoperative assessment before your procedure to make sure you are healthy. This generally includes filling out a health survey, and we may require electrocardiogram test. We may also need to have some lab tests done depending on the situation.
- You’ll need to meet with your anesthesiologist prior to the date of your dental appointment. This way they talk to you about what will happen, go over your history and answer any of your questions.
- The day of your appointment, we’ll check out your blood pressure and assess other factors to make sure you are still able to go undergo sedation.
- Monitoring and administration of the anesthetic during the procedure.
- Post-procedure recovery and preparation for discharge.
- When the dental surgery is over, we’ll give you instructions on what to do and what to expect. We’ll also write them down for you to help you remember.
- Finally, the night after the procedure, we’ll be calling you to see how you are feeling.
Possible Side Effects and Other Sedation Dentistry Questions
When it comes to sedation dentistry, anesthesia is a popular choice. It can be given to the patient safely. Plus, there is minimal risk involves and the side effects are few. Another benefit of sedation dentistry is sometimes your dentist can complete multiple procedures in one sitting — so you don’t need to come back again and again.
HOW LONG WILL I BE SEDATED?
Even though you many only be sedated for two to four hours, you should the day off work. The reason is that you’ll be sedated throughout your dental appointment — and for several hours after. You will be able to go to work the next day.
WILL I EXPERIENCE ANY SIDE EFFECTS OF DENTAL SEDATION?
Side effects depend on the person. You feel a little nauseated as you come out of your sedation, but if you eat and drink something, it generally goes away. Other side effects include feeling sleepy. Because of the relaxed state, you’ll probably feel drowsy before your treatment, during it and even after it’s done. This is normal for someone who’s just taken a sedative drug. They take time to fully wear off.
This is why you’re going to need someone to drive you home afterwards. You’ll also need someone to drive you to work the next day too as the drowsy effects could still be lingering.
CAN I USE SEDATION DENTISTRY FOR A ROUTINE CLEANING?
Yes, you can use sedation for a routine teeth cleaning! You would be surprised at when we can use sedation dentistry. While it’s great for longer dental treatments, it can be used for a number of dental treatments. Call our expert sleep dentist in Houston at 713-807-9877 for more information .
Please note: A responsible adult must accompany the patient home after the sedation dentistry procedure and remain with them throughout the evening
Call us at (713) 807-9877 or use the button below to Ask a Question or Schedule Your Appointment to have Dr. Jonathan Penchas or one of his expert staff examine your teeth.24/7 Appointment NOW