A Prosthodontist is a Dental Specialist
In dentistry, there is your general dentist whom you probably see for your biannual dental exam and cleanings. If there is an extensive dental issue, your general dentist most likely will refer you to a dental specialist.
What are the Seven Dental Specialties?
- Periodontist: Deals with specifically the gums and surrounding tissues.
- Pedodontist: Treats children and adolescents for their dental care.
- Endodontist: Performs root canals and deals with issues involving the inside of the tooth.
- Oral Surgeon: Performs maxillofacial surgery, complicated extractions, and facial reconstruction.
- Oral pathologist: Diagnoses oral diseases and conditions, including oral cancer.
- Orthodontist: Straightens patients’ teeth and corrects their bad bites.
- Prosthodontist: Specializes in replacing missing teeth with dentures, implants, bridges, and crowns. This specialty requires two-four years of post-graduate-focused training in the art and science of tooth replacement.